JabRef in Google Summer of Code 2023
This page lists a number of ideas for potential projects to be carried out by the persons participating in Google Summer of Code 2023.
This is by no means a closed list, so the possible contributors can feel free to propose alternative activities related to the project (the list of feature requests and the GitHub issue tracker might serve as an additional source of inspiration).
Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their ideas with the developers and the community to improve their proposal until submission (e.g., using the Gitter Channel or the forum).
It’s also a good idea to start working on one of the smaller issues to make yourself familiar with the contribution process.
Collaboration using Online Services
- Description: JabRef currently supports the collaboration using shared SQL databases but lacks connection/integration with other online services, for example, Overleaf or the new web-based reference manager JabRef-Online (still under development). JabRef should offer an abstraction layer that connects and synchronizes with other online services easily.
Concurrent modification of entries should be taken into account as well (Optimistic Offline Lock, already implemented for the shared SQL databases).
- Skills required: Java, GraphQL, REST
- Expected outcome: It is possible to synchronize citation entries from a local JabRef installation with JabRef-Online and at least one other online collaboration service (preferable Overleaf).
- Possible mentors:: @Siedlerchr, @koppor, @tobiasdiez
- Project size: 350h (large)
Improved CSL Support
- Description: JabRef offers two different layouts for displaying entry previews. The custom JabRef format and CSL. CSL provides a vast collection of styles. JabRef should offer the option to export styles in this format. In addtion, it would be cool to modfiy and create custom CSL styles in JabRef as well. And ideally, in the Libre Office integration it should also be possible to use the CSL Styles.
- Expected outcome: It is possible to export entries in any of the avaiable CSL styles. Integrate the CSL editor into JabRef to allow the creation and modification of styles. It is possible to use CSL styles in LibreOffice as well.
- Possible mentors: @koppor, @Siedlerchr, @calixtus
- Project size: 175h (medium)